Saturday, May 19, 2007

A Tribute to Our Birthday Woman of Steel

SHE DID IT!

We are so proud of our Jamie! On this her 31st birthday she totally rocked the Utah Women of Steel sprint triathlon. She competed with her sisters Dana and Tracy and a couple of neighbors. The race consisted of a 300-meter swim, a 10-mile bike and 3-mile run. Jamie did all of them at a great pace and was smiling when it was all through. The times have not been posted yet, but Jamie felt good about her effort and that is the most important thing. Both sisters also felt very good about the way they raced.

One thing for sure, Jamie looked GOOD in her tri-suit. I obviously need to get out and buy Jamie some new clothes. I didn't realize just how skinny she is looking until I saw her out there without her regular baggy clothes. Jamie says this is as healthy as she has ever felt. Admit it, when you look at these pictures you too are impressed at just how great Jamie is looking.


Tyler loved the event too. I think his favorite part was watching the swim because he could watch his mom the whole time. During the bike and run there were long periods where Jamie was out of sight and that made Tyler just want to play on the nearby park playground. When he did see mom, he proudly held up his sign that said Happy Birthday Mom! You Rock!! Jamie #4516.

Before the race Jamie was mostly worried about the swim. After the race, she was most disappointed in the swim, but for a different reason. Jamie wound up swimming very well and kept getting kicked in the face by the gal who should have allowed Jamie to lap her. The race started swimmers about every ten seconds or so and it only took a lap or two for Jamie to be right up against the swimmer in front of her. Unfortunately, that swimmer did not allow Jamie to pass for several laps and it looked to Tyler in the stands as though "mommy was eating that woman's feet."


As for the bike, unfortunately Jamie forgot to double check her seat and I had ridden the bike easlier in the week. Fortunately, I don't ride with the seat too much shorter than her. However, it was not her ideal riding conditions.

Last but not least, the run! No excuses and no problems as Jamie ran quite well. Tyler was very excited when he saw her coming down the home stretch. He was a great cheerleader. In fact, he now keeps talking about "his race." Apparantly, in his world there is an upcoming race including cousins and neighbors. Pretty fun!
With my graduation coming up soon, I've been talking about the need to start working on getting in better shape. SO...I think I am going to sign-up for the Hobblecreek Half Marathon that is in late August. I'm sure that I am crazy, but I can't let these three tough ladies show me up.
As an aside, sorry for not posting. It does take some effort to keep this up. If you are reading this and its worth my time to keep posting let me know. I may try to blog a time or two while I'm in Asia (I leave a week from yesterday!!!!!)
Would love to hear from you all!
TOUGH LADIES HUH?