Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Relay-A-Thon

I apologize for the blogger's cramp over the past few weeks. I have plenty to blog, but am just now getting back into a post-vacation routine where I can put a few pictures up and tell a few stories. I also apologize for blogging out of order...I do want to blog about our California trip, but I am still arranging those pictures.




I know what some of you are thinking...another blog about a race. Well, this is more about Tyler than Jamie and I. It started out as a relay marathon that Jamie, Tracy, Tracy's friend Kyle, our neighbor Veralyn and I were going to run. We each were set to run a fifth of a marathon despite varying illness, injury and lack of training. (Our team was still 19th overall so I'm proud of our group!) I could blog about our team runs and that we all had fun and stuff. But you've heard about that from me before. I'll just leave it at we had a great time and everyone did a great job. (By the way, I tried to checkerboard these photos, it didn't work...oops! Maybe I'll figure it out next time).




When we got the race it was pretty cold and the kids were not exactly enjoying the playground because they were too busy being cold. However, once it started heating up they announced that they were having a kids race. Tyler decided that despite no training, wearing his Crocs and jeans and without having a clue how far the race was that he wanted to run the kid race. I was nervous thinking he would never be able to go the full distance (I think it was a 1k race which would be about .62 of a mile). Fortunately, his mother has more faith in him than I do because she signed him up and he did AWESOME!




He ran the whole way and at the end was so proud of his accomplishment. At one point in the race his best friend Lauren started to slow down and walk. Veralyn (who was running beside them at the time) reports that Tyler slowed to a walk for a few seconds and then said, "This isn't a walking race, this is a running race," and kept on chugging along.



Tyler has seen his mom and I race a fair amount in the past. I think this is one reason why he was so proud of himself that morning. They also gave him a really cool medal that he didn't stop wearing all weekend.
Last, but not least, Marcus has now started standing next to a wall or door and saying "GO" and then running (or quickly waddling as the case may be) across the room. Looks like we have yet another racer in the making.

6 comments:

Winnie said...

Good job all of you on the race!
I have a question though: do you run your races making noises the whole time the way Marcus does? Because if you did, that would be sweet.

k8theriver said...

don't hesitate to post about your races--it is who you are.
marcus has nice form.

Melissa said...

Wow! What an awesome race course Marcus has. I'm glad Tyler had fun and did so well! Way to go!

Jason said...

Your feet aren't even touching the ground in the one pic. "I'm flying!"

T Fowler said...

Great job to every runner in your family!

Heath said...

My Lach does the whole, 'run and yell' system too. Good job on your races, it's really good motivation for me.