Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Economy: Rinse and Repeat

Those who know me know that I am a big fan of capitalism. One of the things that can be difficult about a free economy is the boom and bust cycle that takes place when markets must correct themselves. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail on that. I did, however, what to point something out. I keep hearing about how bad the economy is and people wondering if we will ever get back to prosperity. In fact, here are just a few headlines from the past year in Time magazine (including a case for saving GM and a picture of Mr. Change Obama and his "New New Deal"):





The reason I post these is because they remind me of another time. When I was just starting to study journalism in high school in 1992 (a quick shout out to Ms. Beck from Hillcrest High) we were also going through a rough economic time. I remember reading article after article wondering if/when we would ever get out of the tailspin we were in. Interestingly enough, many economists would argue that the '90s were as prosperous a decade as we have ever had. See if any of these 1992 Time covers look at all familiar (including an article about GM and a "Mandate for Change")



I'm not predicting how or when the economy is going to turn around. In fact, given our governments response, I've never been more worried for the state of our nation. However, I do think that a little perspective on how history tends to repeat itself is worth at least a glance.

3 comments:

Justin said...

Ditto that, my brother! I wish people more important than either of us would take a break and look at history.

Thanks for sharing this.

Marcus said...

"These are days when many are discouraged. In the 93 years of my life, depressions have come and gone. Prosperity has always returned and will again."
-John D. Rockefeller, following the Wall Street Crash of 1929

Melissa said...

I'm glad I have a borderline genius for a brother who can remember exactly what he read in high school and apply it to life today. I'm just sad that in order to get that borderline genius status mom had to save all my brain power for you! Very good points smarty pants!