Monday, June 04, 2007

Asia Day Five: Singin' in the Rain

May 31, 2007

So today was really great, but I must admit to being a little bummed too. We had a great day seeing some of the best sights in China. However, unfortunately the weather was not very good and rained most of the day.

Our first stop was the one that disappointed me the most. We went to the Great Wall of China and took a tram up the mountain to a key viewpoint. However, we were unable to see much because of the rain and the fog. In fact, the visibility was so bad we almost couldn’t see from one post to the next. As you can see, you couldn't even always see from my camera to me and I was always within a foot or two walking distance. (Good time to remind any readers that if you double click on any small photo posted here it will expand for easier viewing).

However, it did not keep my spirits down for long. I still enjoyed walking on the wall and talking with the Chinese people that I ran into. Dave Anderson and I even did a little dance number to “Singin in the Rain.” It would have been nice if the weather had cooperated for us, but overall it was still nice to be back at the great wall again. One day I’m going to bring Jamie here…I know that she would enjoy it.

On the way back to the bus I had a few great conversations with peddlers who set up their shops at the base of the wall. I really do enjoy the Chinese sense of humor. I wish there was a way for me to keep my current life but enjoy more contact with the Chinese people. And, of course, I can’t keep the words to the song “Because I have Been Given Much out of my head.”

After the wall we enjoyed a GREAT meal at a restaurant not far from the wall. It was the Chinese food that I fell in love with. Typical wok cooked dishes with lots of vegetables and several different varieties. It is a lot of fun seeing some of the other students’ first experiences with the food and culture. I have been able to make much better friends with some of the other students this trip. I have really been enjoying the fact that as we travel the walls come down and are left with no pretension.

After dinner we went to a government owned shop where they make a certain style of pottery that was developed in the Ming dynasty called Cloisonne. The pots are clay, then coated with copper and have copper wiring designs. It was fascinating watching the people hard at work, particularly bending the copper and painting the very fine patterns on the pottery.

Our next stop was the Summer Palace where the Empress Dowager, when she was in power, lived from April to October. The Empress Dowager was quite the egotistical woman. She literally killed off her own children in order to maintain control of the political affairs of China in the late 1800s. When she dined the amount of food brought in was enough to feed a village and that was just one meal for her. I studied quite a bit about her the last time I was here. If you are interested, ask me sometime and I’ll share a few more stories.

One quick anecdote…the Empress’ ego inspired her to want to create a magnificent Jade boat (the Chinese people really do love all things Jade). Of course, once the boat was completed it was way to heavy to float. So, it sits at the dock on a slab of concrete to show off what an overactive ego can do!

While looking at the boat, I met the cutest 75 year old Chinese woman who was selling (illegally I am sure) post cards. She was so animate as I spoke with her. She told me she was 75 and when I said “I’m not quite that old” she cracked up and started dancing up and down laughing. We talked about how many Americans come through here and she was just a riot. Several of the nearby students had a good laugh as well. In the end I bought a few postcards just because I wanted to help her out.

After the palace we went back to the hotel. A few students went to see the Beijing Acrobats. Having seen them before, I went with a group to a nearby market again. I go more to enjoy talking and using my Chinese than anything else. Of course, I do end up buying things which is the harm in spending so much time in the markets. The upside is that most things here don't cost very much.

It is interesting to see the different styles used to negotiate and the different tastes that come out. I know that Regan and I are shopping for different things. It is definitely neat being able to have someone here that I know I will have a long term relationship with. We may be sick of each other by the time this trip is over, but I feel lucky that we are able to share this experience. I have a feeling we will be boring the family at gatherings with stories from our trip for years to come.

I ended my day with a few laps of swimming. It felt good to get some hard exercise and I gained a better appreciation for how hard Jamie worked to get in shape for her recent triathlon. I sure miss her and my boys. The fact that we keep busy doing stuff probably makes it easier than it is for those at home. However, at every turn I think…if only Jamie were here. I especially miss having here as the designated picture taker. I really hope to bring Jamie here in the future. I also really miss how great Tyler makes me feel and being there to see cute little Marcus.

If one day I somehow become a millionaire, I would love to lead a big group of our extended family over here to enjoy this magnificent culture. However, don’t hold your breath…I’m a long ways from millionaire status.

No comments: