Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Falling in Love with Hong Kong

June 3, 2007

Today was a travel day, but for the only time on the trip, the travel day did not start at a ridiculously early time. In fact, we were able to have a short sacrament meeting before we had to head off to the airport. We were encouraged not to fast this week as we would be traveling and dealing with humidity and a few other factors. However, we did have a fast meeting.

I surprised myself, I’m not really one for bearing my testimony a lot in public; however, I have felt so strong a tie to the Chinese people for so long and have felt the need so great for the gospel to come to this country. Anyway, I ended up bearing my testimony of how grateful I am for the knowledge I have and expressed how much I think the gospel could transform so many of the problems that we saw here in Beijing. Other members of the group bore very spiritually nourishing testimonies. It was one of the better meetings I had been to in a while. Of course, it probably is easier to feel the spirit when you aren’t wrestling with kids.

It was pretty funny when we were in leaving the hotel I noticed a sign in the lobby that listed the “Days Activities.” There in bold letters was our “Church Service.” I guess I’m not really used to seeing Church Service listed on a marquee (but it was kind of cool).

From here we bid farewell to Beijing and went to the airport. Due to our flying an international flight, we were there plenty earlier. Regan, Dustin Olson, Todd Rhodes and I ended up playing a few more rounds of Rook. Been a long time since I have had so much time to just play games and the like. I think I could get used to this kind of lifestyle…too bad retirement is still 20 plus years away!!

On the flight to Hong Kong I had my own aisle so I was able to spread out and enjoy. I mostly read on the flight. I finished a book called “Blink” which I would recommend to anyone and began a book called “Mao’s Last Dancer.” I also tried to do a little journaling, but in the end took a brief nap instead.

When we began our decent on Hong Kong I knew immediately I would like this place. President Hinckley in his biography mentions a love for Hong Kong…I’m with him! Basically Hong Kong just springs out of the South China Sea. There are all these beautiful little mountain-like islands that just pop from the sea. If you have been to Hong Kong you know what I am referring to, if not I recommend you get a window seat if you ever fly there. I’m usually an aisle seat guy, but wow, I think it would be worth dealing with the trapped in feeling for the flight just to see the landing!

Leaving the airport it was fun to see blue sky again. Hong Kong seems to be very lush with vegetation, that is wherever there aren't megaskyscrapers. Once we got checked in at our hotel we were led by Jason Bell (a former Hong Kong missionary) for some authentic food. We had what was similar to PaiGu Fan in Taiwan. Basically it is some type of pork that is very tasty. We also had some Chinese veggies that are yummy too. The side streets definately have a feel that is very much like Taiwan. In fact, if the people were speaking Mandarin or Taiwanese instead of Cantonese I'd swear I was back in Taichung. On the way back I noticed a great sign on the side of our Hotel. In huge bright lights it read “Sorry We Are Open.” I hope I never feel the need to apologize for my business being open :-)

My love affair with Hong Kong continued after dinner. Any city that has a choreographed laser light show across their bay every night at 8pm…A-Okay in my book! It was pretty awesome seeing the city by the bay all lit up and then watching different color lasers being shot across the bay. I know that Adam, Clayton and Tyler would love this place.

As a large group we took a ferry across the bay and then took a tram to the top of Victoria Peak. The views were AMAZING! Very difficult to capture by camera, but take my word for it…AWESOME. If Jamie had been with me I would say it was totally romantic, but with Regan by my side…I’ll just say it was very serene.

Throughout the trip my digital camera has been taking some grief since it is about three times the size of most of the other students’ brand new digital cameras. Whenever I whip my camera out they all tease me about it being the first digital camera ever made and stuff. Well, tonight that large digi camera and I fought back. My camera seemed to do the best at capturing people and still not fading out the entire background of the city by the bay. As such, I was asked to take a lot of pictures for different people. Ah the sweet justice of Revenge. I doubt anyone else will make fun of my camera now! Of course, I’d like to believe the power was in the photographer and his expert use of the camera settings…but I could be wrong.

Back across the bay and to the hotel. I tried to make my call to Jamie fairly quick. I want to see if I can get in a deep sleep before the bulldozer (Regan) gets cranked up to high gear. I’m especially worried here because there is at most a centimeter of space between Regan and I’s beds in this hotel. Although the hotel is extremely nice, the room itself is a tad small and I fear if I am not careful I may get a full whiff of Regan breath in the morning…I’ll keep my fingers crossed!


PS. Regan if you want to fight back, talk about what sounds I make in my sleep, or just add any comments in general on things I may have missed or forgotten...please feel free to hit the comment button.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I would love Hong Kong. I enjoyed the blog as always and know there are many others that are enjoying it as well. They may just be intimidated by the commenting process...I don't know. Anyway, you really think you'll retire in 20 years? Good luck and here's hoping. Jamie

Kent said...

Jamie, it definately says 20 plus years before I'll retire. 20 plus 10 years would make me 60. 20 plus 15 years would make me 65. 65 is a good retirement age right?