Monday, June 23, 2008

Leaving it all on the Course


Over the next few days (or weeks) I intend to blog a good deal about this past weekend's Ragnar Wasatch Back Relay Race. This was one of my most favorable memories I've had in a long time. For those who have never heard of it, the race comprises of 12 runners with varying legs in a race from Logan to Park City (about 180 miles). The race runs through the night and includes a stretch up, over and back down Guardsman's pass (STEEP!). Each runner ran 3 times over the course of the race (which our team completed in 29 hours). For more info go to Ragnarrelay.com and click on the Utah link. From there you can learn all about the race course etc.

Several of my teammates were taking pictures and I haven't been able to get them all yet. As soon as I do I will upload pictures and tell more about the race itself. I didn't take many pictures because they seemed to be doing such a good job of it. However, I actually wanted to share one thought that really struck me as I went through this draining (but so fun) experience.
Each leg of the race is very different. In fact, some of the legs are considerably harder than others. (The runners who had to go over Guardsman can attest to this). Each runner's legs had their own unique challenges. At the same time, each runner came to the race with a different level of preparedness. For some of the runners this was a first race. One runner had only known about the race for a few weeks and was an emergency fill-in. Other runners had been running for years. Each runner had their own style, and one runner on our team had to come all the way back to Salt Lake, attend a wedding reception, and meet up with us at the East Canyon Resavoir.
As I watched each runner there was no doubt that we all, at some point, were fighting an emotional battle willing our bodies to go on despite the feeling that it would be easier to just quit. It was so inspirational to see friends of mine gut through heat, dust, altitude, incline (or decline) and fatigue/exhaustion. I was moved, in particular, by the performances of our two power runners who faced Guardsman's Pass without folding to the pressure of quitting as they gritted out each grueling step.
Finally, after all was said and done we crossed the finished line...tired, hobbling, but with heads held high. As I looked over at my wife and two boys I honestly thought I was going to cry. As I look back, it really didn't matter how fast our team completed the course. It didn't matter who endured what legs...all that matter was that we all gave everything we had and left nothing on the course. I was so proud of each individual and therefore so proud of our team time.
As I reflect on life here on earth, this race seems so indicitive of what we faced on that mountain. No two people face the same challenges. Some legs in life are significantly harder than others and no two of us have the same skill set coming into life. However, in the end, it doesn't matter who the fastest runner was, it only matters that you leave nothing on the course. That you give your all despite the days it seems like it would be easier to just quit.
I truly hope that when my time on earth comes to an end, that I can feel like I did on Saturday. I may not have been the best runner there. I may not have had the hardest nor easiest leg. But through it all, I gave it my all. I hope that I look back on my life, like this race, knowing I gave it all that I had. I can honestly tell each member of my team that they got the best I had on that day. I hope I can tell my family the same as I pass from this life.
I hope that we can all be sure to leave nothing behind on the course.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow - those are some deep thoughts! I think my blog (and my mind) runs through much shallower water. I really liked this post. I admired your ability and willingness to do the race already, but I admire you even more now. What a great perspective on a challenge you faced and on your life. I think you are running a great race little bro - and I have no doubt you're not leaving much behind on the course!

Jason said...

Dude, half your team is from my ward. How 'bout that?

I'm actually helping Spencer Rose with a little pro bono PR work.

Heath said...

Besaws- Hey, it's Heather and Chris from down the street(used to be). I love your blog, it's actually the first among MANY that have a male narrator. Way to go Kent.

What wonderful thoughts about that run. I would love to do it someday. I had no idea you were a runner either. Good Job on the race.

Tell Jamie I say "HI". Your boys have grown so so much and Marcus is a little cutie. I watched about every video you have. He definitely has his own look although I see a lot of Tyler in him when he was that age. Hope all is well in the old hood. Keep in touch.

Carl said...

Congrats on completing such a difficult race. I'll use your entry for motivation over the next few days at youth conference. I'm going with the youth of our stake on a mini pioneer trek. Not as gruelling as your race, but you are in better shape than I am and this California heat should be a challenge.

Matthew Hansen said...

Amen! From the slowpoke in the group, this was fantastic. Thanks for the great write up!

Jennie said...

I enjoyed reading your posts about the relay. It made me want to do it all over again. I miss it...I think I am having withdrawals!