Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Wasatch Back Legs


I've had a few people ask me about my specific legs of the race from Friday and Saturday. So, along with a few pictures from the event, here is a breakdown of my runs. I was going to wait until I had all the pictures together, but got too anxious today at lunch...so the only pictures are from the last day of the race.

Our team name was All Night Long and one theme song of ours was Rascal Flat's "Life is a Highway." Our team time was just over 29 hours which is a pace of about 9:37 miles. Not bad considering all that we endured.

I was our runner number 11 and had a pretty reasonable leg. My first leg was 3.8 miles up over old Snow Basin Road. If I had the time to look back I would have seen a beautiful view of Pineview Resorvoir. Over the first 2.9 miles I gained just over 900 feet and over the last mile I dropped about 500 feet. I was surprised that given it was my first leg I didn't seem to find a really good groove on this run. In the end I finished up in 31:35. According to my neighbors Garmin that I borrowed I had traveled 3.86 miles for a pace of about 8:15 minute miles. Not a great time, but no one passed me and I passed 7 runners. Something that kept me pushing when I felt frustrated that I hadn't hit my groove. I would just pick out a runner ahead and promise I could ease up once I passed them. This game got me up and over the hill I was running. I started the run just a little before 8pm and it was neat watching the sun begin to set. Because of the hour I had to wear a reflective vest (at least 5 sizes too big) and a headlamp, but since the sun was glaring in my eyes I also kept my sunglasses on. I bet I looked really great wearing my vest, a headlamp and sunglasses.

From there the group camped out near East Canyon Resorvoir or some such place. We tried to rest on concrete and I got zero sleep. When Van #2 tagged us off it was pretty cold and I was looking forward to a pitch dark run...but alas by the time I ran it was nearing sun-up. On my second leg I saw the sunrise (again while wearing a vest and headlamp, this time no sunglasses).


My second leg felt a lot better than my first and I really hit a great groove. I ran 4.6 miles of fairly flat terrain. I have no idea exactly where I was but I finished in the town of Wanship, and the next runner took us past Rockport Lake (and Kent Canyon Road). I finished my 4.6 miles in less time than it took me to run 3.8 the night before. I was very pleased with my time of 28:52. A pace of around 6:20 minute miles. Along the run I passed an additional 16 runners. Though one lady that I passed came up behind me and took a lead from me for a few minutes. It was all the motivation I needed to sprint to the finish of this leg passing her right before I tagged out.
From there our group went to South Summit High where the gym was littered with sleeping bodies. Here I got my first shower in what seemed like forever and tried to sleep. I don't think I got much actual sleep, but the rest felt good. Knowing that my next leg would be the heat of the day and downhill I spent a lot of the time stretching and hoping my legs would forgive me for making them scream down the hill.

The heat and dust of Guardsman's pass was tough. Watching our runners as they climed that peak I knew I was in for it coming down. I started my run at about 3pm and it was over 90 degrees. Ironic that I ran by snow at the start because I was up so high.

The altitude wasn't too terrible, the heat was awful. I started out going up hill about 3oo feet of elevation in just a few hundred yards. Then, it was the drop. I passed through Deer Valley Ski Resort all the while causing my legs to scream and plead for help. I've never felt my thighs so acutely. The run was supposed to be 6.9 miles, but the Garmin read a full 7 miles and I felt every yard. My van was great as they stopped about every half mile so I could rinse the cotton feeling out of my mouth and pour more water over my head. Ironically, the last song that played on my ipod as I came to the end was the Ramones' "I want to be Sedated." Boy did I ever!

When I finally crossed my finish line I was too excited to remember to push stop on my Garmin. However, I did stop it before long and know that I ran the leg in about 55 minutes. Somewhere around 8 minute miles. Although that isn't great timing for going downhill, it definately took everything I had to make it. As I dropped I passed 6 runners. One cute little gal said to me as I passed, "Are your feet burning too?" "Oh ya!" I replied. And I'm still feeling it today, three days later. I was pretty proud that through it all I was never passed by a runner that I didn't also pass, and I was able to put 30 runners behind me. I don't know why I keep track of stuff like that, I guess that is some of my dad's competitive juices seeping out of me.

We met up with the last runner for our team about a hundred yards from the finish line and we raced in as a group. Some of our team had to leave owing to a plane flight, exhaustion, family obligations etc. However, it was awesome finishing as a team.

I can't wait to do it again next year!
Waiting to start my final leg...I'm a little anxious.


The picture above is from my last leg.

In this pic I am pouring water over my head from heat, but running past a bank of snow!



This was the home stretch for me, one more runner to try to pass before I was done!

Here I tag off for the last time...I'm all done!
Finishing as a team!
WE DID IT!

3 comments:

Heath said...

REALLY, REALLY COOL! If you need a team member next year let me know! I would love to do it.

Talmage loved the show, by the way! He never took his eyes off the screen and then used the couch cusions for re-enactment afterwards.

Jason said...

I'm still in the novice stages of running, but I think I can easily say, "I'll never do that..."

Way to go. Get yourself sedated already.

Winnie said...

I kind of agree with Jason, I'll never do that either.

With that out of the way, let me say congratulations and I am way beyond impressed, good job!