Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Marcus Turns Two!



I've seen other blogs where parents have written up a tribute to their children on their birthdays. I think this is such a great idea. I wanted to try it this year on Marcus' birthday, but I am also worried because it is so difficult to express the emotions you feel for a child in writing.

Marcus was born while I was still finishing my MBA and just a little over a month after I had started my new business. Combine this with also having to help care for and play with Tyler and I felt so bad that for the first six months of his life I was not able to spend as much time with him as I had with Tyler. As a result, he was also much more of a Mama's boy. However, from the moment he came to our family Marcus has been such a joy. He has so much energy (for good and bad). He is quick to laugh and already at the age of two he has a well developed sense of humor.

Jamie reports that Marcus was a really easy newborn, but from about 3 months to 18 months he wasn't much of a sleeper and this resulted in his being a bit of a monster. I've always said that Marcus is like "Jack Jack" from the Incredibles. He is so cute and then BAM fireball!

One of the best/worst memories I have of Marcus is the time he spent at the hospital. I think seeing him in such a fragile state really tugged on my heartstrings. He was so sweet and loving those few days. In fact, I really think that his personality underwent a fundamental change that week. I never would have believed that a year and a half year old could learn a lesson of appreciation. However, as soon as Marcus came home he really did seem to have a greater appreciation of his mom and I. Since then his personality has developed at the speed of light.

Of late, Marcus is such a beacon of light. I've nearly cried on a couple of occassions when I get home and he and Tyler lead the charge to the door chanting my name. I'm so blessed to have such wonderful boys.

I love you Marcus and hope we are always able to have so much fun together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the slide show it is great and your thoughts on Marcus will be memories he will always want to keep. These blogs are a great way to keep a journal on the family. Thanks again for everything. Renae

Melissa said...

We love little Marco! I think I will always remember the first time he tried to say my name and also how funny he is to give "bones" whenever asked. He sure is a cutie and we're so glad to have him in our family!

Leslie said...

What a lucky little boy to have a dad that would write a tribute just for him. Your family is quite special and it shows!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed Marcus's birthday party. I'm still not 100% and I've been fighting this bug for 12 days now! Nice tribute to the kiddo; perhaps someday he'll write an ode to Dad.