Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Big Family Home Evening

I think I have mentioned this on the blog once before, but one of the main reasons I try to keep this up is to record a family history. (It is also why I sometimes bug people to make comments so that I can obtain their insights on our family activities).

Today's blog is not real exciting and the videos posted aren't well filmed, this is simply an attempt to document a glimpse of a Besaw family tradition.

It seems that about once a month we have some event (holiday, birthday, etc) where all the families that live in Utah (we really miss Carl's family) get together at my parent's house. It is always chaotic and at times the noise level is unbearable; however, I feel these get togethers will be something Tyler and Marcus will remember fondly throughout their lives.

Growing up I never had grandparents who lived nearby. I do have some good memories of times with my Besaw cousins who lived in Layton while I was growing up, but the distance and circumstances still kept us from being as close as we may have preferred. I remember while growing up some of my friends talking so fondly of spending time with cousins and grandparents. For me, spending time with cousins and grandparents was great, but it was not something to be enjoyed regularly.
One reason I chose to get my Master's degree from BYU rather than an out of state college was so that my children could remain close to family. Sometimes I wonder if I would have more financial success if I had followed a different path; but when we have these get togethers I am always glad that I stayed close.

A couple of weeks ago at our get together, Tyler found a crazy hat and vest in grandma Terry's dress up box and clowned around with Clayton and his other cousins. Morgan and London kept wanting to play night time and turning the lights off, much to the annoyance of the twins. Marcus' entertained with his almost crawl.

After a little bit we all ate dinner together...a big batch of grandma Terry's special home made chicken noodle soup. Then, grandpa Rod and grandma Terry gave a lesson on being kind. When grandma told the story about two little boys who put a silver dollar in a poor man's shoe you could have heard a pin drop. All the kids on the couch were definately listening close.

All in all, I am grateful for the lesson, grateful for the dinner, but more importantly grateful that my children are able to enjoy their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins that live so close. (They are also lucky to have great visits from the family that doesn't live close!)

Here was a rather spirited opening song of Follow the Prophet:




Here is Tyler and London singing Book of Mormon Stories...and Kennedy wanted to make sure she got some face time as well.





And is there any way to lead a song more spirited than the way Clayton does here?

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a crazy, wonderful family we have! We miss being there but we have so much fun when we do get to come. I love the memories they are making together and hope that as the years progress the cousins will be able to be each other's best friends. I love that my children are able to grow up with cousins and have aunts, uncles, and grandparents who are members of the Church and strong members too! I did not have that as a child and I am so grateful that my kids do. It is such a blessing because I do believe it takes a village these days. Sometimes aunts, uncles, or grandparents can make a difference when mom and dad can't. And Kent, for the record, I think you made the right choice by staying in Utah to get your MBA because in the eternal perspective, what really matters anyway? Can't wait to see you in just a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

Kent,
I still remember some of the FHEs where you kids would get into the spirit of what was going on and your attitude made evrything so great.

I see alot of that enthusiasm in the cousins.

Popa Rod

Anonymous said...

top pic pink shirt she is prime age to start breeding