Monday, July 14, 2008

A Belated 4th of July Post

Well, given Marcus' illness last week I didn't get time to post anything about July 4th. I'm sure that some of you have had more than your fill of July 4th postings so I promise to add a video that is a little unusual (even if it is at my expense).


The 4th this year was a little more relaxed than previous years because the Guth's were out of town and the Laurence's went to Stadium of Fire. So, Tyler and Marcus had their parents and grandparents all to themselves. In the morning we went to the park and in the afternoon cousin Morgan came and played in our blow up pool. (I'll make another post later about the fun our boys have had in our blow up pool this year).

Since Tyler has been asking about Fireworks for months now (I'm not kidding!) we got started a little early with parachuters, sky spiders and smoke bombs. Luckily, our neighbors the Mellings and Halls had us over to watch some of their fountains so that we didn't run out of fireworks before it got dark. Of course, only yours truly is a fine enough connoisseur of fireworks to know that Black Cat Fireworks far exceed TNT fireworks for variety in color and size. As such, our finale, in my less than humble opinion, was the best! If only I could use my pyro skills for good!


Tyler was so enamored with the fireworks that he even convinced me to let him attend the Laurence's firework party on Monday night (the last night fireworks were legal). For more on that show see the Laurence's post here.

A little story here before the video I promised. When I was in college we used to spruce up our firework shows by running through the fountains much like one runs through the sprinklers. However, once I started hosting firework parties with children in attendance this no longer seemed like such a good idea. As such, I was trying to find a way to spruce up a fireworks show, but still have the show on a budget (and legal, I have enough illegal fire stories). So, I discovered that if I made a goofy face or dance while lighting one of the strobe "flasher" fireworks the kids would all laugh. This trend grew to where the kids joined in the dance and now the flasher is the Besaw favorite as all the kids whip out their favorite dance moves. I especially like a few of Tyler's moves in this video. He is the kid on the far right.

This tradition evolved to the point where the first year in our Lehi home I broke out my ole stand by dance move, "the worm." Now, it is tradition that each year I have to do the worm at least once. Well, this year it was caught on tape so...here is a video of my making a fool of myself doing the worm (the Laurence post has a great video of my nephew Clayton's version of the worm).


6 comments:

T Fowler said...

Love the worm! Greg's only comment was, "What? That is bizarre. Who is that?" Looks like some great traditions.

The Laurence Family said...

You totally and completely rock! No one does the worm as amazingly well as you and no one ever will! Thanks for being the life of our party!

Anonymous said...

Sure wish we could have been there. I remember the fireworks we did with you guys for the 24th and it was great. Love your snake. Renae

Winnie said...

Sweet dance moves. Have you considered taking your show on the road? I have to do sharing time this Sunday, maybe I could use your services. Hmmm, how to I fit "the worm" into a lesson about the Gospel and missionary work?

Heath said...

I love it. Wish I could've been front row for that one!

I'm so sorry to hear of the ilness' in your family. HOpe all is well now. Aren't we blessed to have health? I thank Heavenly Father everyday for my healthy family.

Anonymous said...

love the kids in the car, liyyle one in front legs spread wide, let the others watch me slip my cockin her