Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Lehi Round Up Parade

One thing that is awesome about being a dad is when you just know you are helping your children make memories that will last a lifetime. I was blown away this morning when Tyler came to my room talking about fireworks. He remembered that last year we had a parachute that we shot off at the Laurence house that went over the backyard fence. He remembered that Spencer had his football helmet with him last year and he remembered that we played a running game (we had played "kick the can"). His face was aglow the whole time he was telling me about these memories.

Often, making those types of memories for our children can be taxing. That was the case this past weekend when the boys, Jamie and I participated in our ward's float for the Lehi Parade. Following a hurried dinner on Friday, Jamie and I took the boys and our wagon over to join with the ward at Wine's Park in Lehi. Our float theme was "FootLoose" and the children were all wearing funny socks or mismatched shoes or the like. We won an award for "Most Unique" (is that a compliment?). The children had even learned a little line dance that went along with the chorus. Tyler went to the dance practice, but I think he was relieved nonetheless when he was able to ride on the float instead of dance.
Jamie pulled Marcus in the wagon and he seemed to really enjoy it. Of course, Tyler was in his element. His favorite part was when I would take the squirt bottle I was using to cool kids off with and spray it into his gaping mouth. I enjoyed being the unofficial squirter, but I'll tell you what, my sister Melissa really seemed to get into squirting the crowd. (If you look really close you can see a line of water going into Tyler's mouth)

When we were all done with the route on Friday night, Melissa asked if I might be willing to help out the next day. When I told Tyler he could ride on the float again he exclaimed, "I love Parades!"
Jamie and Marcus took day two off (and who could blame them) but I really had a special time with Tyler. I walked him around before the parade started so he could see all of the floats. He was so cute and excited. We had lunch together and played around while waiting for the parade to end.Perhaps one of the most special things was seeing how much Tyler enjoyed throwing candy to the crowds (even if most of it had to be picked up and thrown again by those walking near the float). I hope that he always prefers the giving to the receiving.
For those not able to witness the parade, you are in luck. Uncle Craig captured the following video that shows the troops as they pass by. Notice how much fun the kids (and adults) are having. You can also see a little of Jamie dancing, Tyler on the float, and my causing trouble with another adult (all pretty typical of the evening). My favorite part of the video is that the little Fuller girl is being pulled behind the float as a "princess." Check out how awesome her little wave is...great fun!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for not tagging me, because I read your blog all the time.
Secondly I love the parade and I learned a new trick and I can put all these pictures on my hard drive and they show up as my screen saver so I get to see them all the time. Thanks for blogging so much recently. It is a real treat. Love Renae

Melissa said...

Wow that was a fun weekend! Kent and Tyler - thanks again for walking it with me both days! Jamie - thanks for getting your groove on Friday night! It was a blast!

Heath said...

Oh how I miss that ward! The small town feeling is a bit lost up here. Looks like you (and especially Tyler) had a great 4th. Sounds like he's as much into fireworks as Talmage is. Happy 4th.

T Fowler said...

Your post on the parade is much more exciting than mine. (I'm not sure if that is correct English. I'm always so nervous about leaving comments on Laurence's blog because they really know their grammar!) It was a great time and I know the kids had fun. I also love the video. Thanks for helping!

Naomi said...

So great to see that you guys have a blog! Check out ours nanddpatterson.blogspot.com
-Naomi